The Big Idea party is fiscally responsible

ASUU elections are here again, and that means thousands of dollars of donated money are being utilized to fund student campaigns. This money does not come from student fees, but rather from student’s pockets and, sometimes, mommy and daddy’s checkbooks.

Although there are lower limits on campaign spending than in previous years, spending more than $9,000 on a campus campaign seems ridiculous. There are so many ways in which these thousands of dollars can be spent helping student groups on campus.

This year, one campaign in particular has changed the “food fest” of pancakes, bagels and water-downed drinks to simply T-shirts and fliers. Instead of wasting money on food that doesn’t buy many votes, this party is spending less and demonstrating the efficiency its members will have when they are in office. There is no reason to waste students’ fees, and this idea should start during the campaign process. I commend the Big Idea Party for this.

I also commend the Big Idea Party for trusting students to vote on issues. I commend it for its impact throughout campus using a limited budget. Obviously donations are necessary for posters, T-shirts and other items for advertising. But was it really necessary for the BLOC Party to have already spent more than $8,000?

These elected officials will be in charge of a budget of approximately $1.5 million. Think carefully when deciding whom you want in charge of your fees: Will you vote for someone who will hold the ever-famous pizza parties, dance marathons and excessive retreats?

Or will you vote for someone who will give the money to your student group for event planning, give money to fund the conference at which you are presenting your research and give money to your big idea?

The Big Idea Party has my vote, and I encourage you to vote not only for the financially responsible party, but also the party that really cares about students and their ideas.

Miriam JohansenSenior, Finance