Acrobatic tendencies

Diavolo, a unique performing arts collaboration among gymnasts, dancers and actors, visits Kingsbury Hall this weekend in its sixth national tour.

Among the performers in Diavolo’s upcoming “Tomb du Ciel” is U alumna Monica Campbell. A 1999 graduate of the U modern dance program and member of the department’s Performing Dance Company, Campbell began performing with Diavolo shortly after her graduation and is now assistant artistic director to the company-a position she has held for the past two years.

Along with other company members, Campbell will perform on large and imposing geometric props. The use of these sizable objects, which represent the obstacles inherent to human nature, propels the production’s metaphorically themed pieces.

Company creator and director Jacques Heim, who has recently choreographed for Cirque du Soleil, guides Diavolo’s productions through the exploration of modern life by meeting adversity with interdependence. Through the combination of acrobatics and dance, Diavolo offers an uncommon approach to contemporary performing arts.