Ft. Douglas Museum honors volunteer

By Jay Logan Rogers

For 15 years the work of volunteer Arthur J. Gogan had a major impact upon the Fort Douglas Military Museum. Last week, the museum staff ensured that his legacy will last.

Prior to his recent retirement, Gogan diligently restored numerous vehicles and artillery pieces that were displayed in the field southeast of the museum. In recognition of his achievements, the museum dedicated the area as the Arthur J. Gogan Cannon Park on March 16.

Around 60 people attended the dedication ceremony, museum curator Jay Nielson said.

“Art was a wealth of information. He put together many exhibits,” said Joseph Surace, a retired Marine Corps veteran who was Gogan’s fellow volunteer at the museum.

“He was our arms specialist. He helped with the restoration and maintenance of arms and edged weapons. He also helped acquire them,” said Su Richards, a research archivist at the museum.

Richards said that she still sometimes calls Gogan to ask for his help in locating materials in the museum.

“Remembering everything he did is pretty hard to do,” Nielson said.

The park contains seven cannons, five tanks and three helicopters. It is on museum property, so it can only be visited during museum hours, which are Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 4 p.m.

“Arthur revitalized several of the cannons that are out there. We named the park for him because of all the dedication he paid to it,” Nielson said.

Gogan is a veteran of the U.S. Navy and spent 11 years serving on submarines. In 1991, he retired from the military and began volunteering at the Fort Douglas Military Museum, and he continued to do so until early 2006.

Nielson described Gogan as a modest, quiet man who was emotionally moved when he learned the park would be named after him.

“Arthur was admired by everyone who knew him,” Nielson said.

The Fort Douglas Military Museum has operated since 1976. Its goal is to preserve and exhibit Utah’s military history.

For more information about the cannon park and the museum, call 581-1251 or visit www.fortdouglas.org.