Re-evaluate your attitude on immigration

By Chronicle Senior Staff

A study released by the College of Social and Behavioral Science argues that both Utah and Mexico stand to benefit from their growing economic ties. These findings contradict the arguments that those opposed to immigration tend to offer-that immigrants are stealing jobs, abusing the welfare program, not paying taxes, etc. Our country is facing a social crisis over immigration, yet no one is re-examining the ideas that we have about immigration. Even when studies such as this one are conducted, many still hold to previously held beliefs that, somehow, immigrants are ruining our economy and society.The fact is, immigration-legal or not-is going to continue, regardless of whether we keep demonizing the immigrants themselves. The real question facing our country is whether we are going to continue to fight a losing battle or start embracing the benefits that increased interaction and globalization can offer everyone in the world?Capitalism is a basic tenant of our society-the idea that open markets and competition will lead to the best products, the best work force and the best ideas.Yet when it comes to accepting this competition in our own society, we rush to build walls around what we perceive as “ours”-we protect markets from those who might want to take advantage of them, but also stifle them from further growth. The common argument used by those who oppose immigration is that jobs are being taken away from Americans-but this study found that Mexican immigrants owned 1,834 businesses in 1997. These businesses created 3,213 jobs for Utah, and Mexican immigrants further contribute $67 million a year in tax revenue.So, from whom are jobs being stolen, again?People also argue that we can never accept illegal immigrants based simply on the fact that they came here illegally-that their disrespect for one of America’s laws is enough to negate any positive contribution they might make to our society and economy. But the fact is that American laws are not sacred-Moses didn’t come down from the mountain and say, “Thou shalt not enter a country without proper documentation.”Instead of obstinately pointing to a law, we need to ask ourselves whether there are other reasons than rigid adherence to legalism that get people up in arms over immigration, because when you get right down to it, no one is panicking about immigrants from Canada. Those who oppose illegal immigration are entitled to their opinions-but they are not entitled to lie to themselves and others about why they think the way they do. Legitimate concerns about immigration need to be addressed, but that will never happen as long as we stonewall the issue with faulty arguments.Attitudes about immigration need to change-because immigration itself is not likely to anytime soon.