Other schools waver, U sticks with AP policy

By Jay Logan Rogers

With universities around the nation considering limiting or eliminating their acceptance of Advanced Placement scores for general education credit, U officials said they plan to continue to accept them, but are considering adjustments.

“We’re constantly revising our position about particular AP scores,” said Edward Barbanell, associate dean of undergraduate studies.

He said a proposal awaiting the approval of the Academic Senate would require students to get an AP score of four to skip Writing 2010, instead of the current score of three needed for an exemption from taking that general-education course.

“We are expected by the State Board of Regents to accept AP credits,” Barbanell said. “We have no plans to change how we treat AP.”

Across the United States, several higher-education institutions are altering their policies toward AP classes. The University of Pennsylvania no longer accepts AP credits to satisfy general-education requirements. Similarly, Harvard and Yale require that some general-education courses are taken by all students, regardless of their AP scores.

“There are certain subject areas, such as mathematics, where we feel some of the AP programs are not adequately preparing students for higher-level classes,” said Edith Waldstein, vice president for enrollment management at Wartburg College, an Iowa liberal-arts college that is considering altering its policy regarding AP credits.

U students are mixed in their opinions about allowing AP classes to fulfill college credit.

“My senior year was all AP classes,” said Julia Hollas, a senior in mass communication. “I think the workload was really good in preparing me for college.”

Leora Bate, a sophomore in electrical engineering, said AP credits are no replacement for university general-education courses.

“There’s only so much you learn in AP chemistry in high school,” Bate said. “I think it’s better for you to take the class in college because it’s usually harder.”

Lisa Johnson, a junior in mass communication, said AP courses were not available at the high school from which she graduated 12 years ago, but she would have taken them if she had the chance.

“I wish I could have come in as a sophomore with AP credits, and gone right into the classes for my major,” Johnson said. “I think it’s great that students have that opportunity.”