Red-hot softball to take on UVSC

Winners of five-straight and seven of its last eight contests, the U softball team will travel down to Orem on Wednesday to take on the UVSC Wolverines in a double-header, where it’ll try to extend its winning streak to seven games.

Over the last five games, the Utes (20-10, 2-0 MWC) have drilled their opponents, beating them by an average score of 7-2.

The three main starting pitchers for the Utes-Meghan Dyer, Lindsie Nielsen, and Karina Cannon-have been particularly sharp over that stretch.

Dyer has rattled opponents, striking out 19 batters while allowing just eight hits and one earned run in 12 innings of work, giving her a 1.94 ERA on the year.

Nielsen, who struggled early in the season by allowing 14 earned runs in 15.1 innings on the mound, saw her ERA nearly cut in half by going 8.1 innings without an earned run over the Utes’ winning streak.

Cannon allowed 11 hits and three earned runs over 9.2 innings, bringing her season ERA to 1.95.

Tremendous hitting from senior second baseman Jackie Wong has also helped the Utes.

Wong leads the Mountain West Conference with a .455 batting average, has scored a team-high 20 runs for Utah and has only struck out six times in 99 trips to the plate.

UVSC enters the game with a 9-24 overall record, but it is 3-1 at home and has won two of its last three games.

The Wolverines’ pitching hasn’t been exceptionally impressive, but they do have a couple powerful hitters on their squad.

Seniors Chris Jimenez and Rachel Hartgrove lead the Wolverines with .355 and .337 batting averages, respectively.

Hartgrove is the power hitter on the team, and she’s hit five homeruns and driven in 19 RBI on the year.

The Utes began their five-game winning streak after beating UVSC 3-2 in the teams’ last matchup in Salt Lake City on March 24.

The teams will meet on Wolverine Field at 3 p.m.