A musical Renaissance

By Matthew Barney

The U School of Music’s Early Music Ensemble is presenting “Terpsichore Lives!” tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Thompson Chamber Music Hall at David Gardner Hall.

The performance will be composed of music from the early Renaissance period, the group’s specialty.

“Mankind has been creating beautiful music for many centuries. What we call early music tends to be very transparent. You can see all the parts; hear all the parts. It has clarity,” said the Early Music Ensemble’s director, Mary Johnson.

The group, which consists of 10 members, including Johnson, was revived only a couple years ago because students asked for it. Johnson has directed the ensemble for two years now.

Each year, the ensemble tackles a different theme, and this year’s subject focuses on music derived from dance, hence its being named after Terpischore, the ancient Greek muse of dance.

To replicate Renaissance sounds, the musicians use various flutes and recorders, a cornamuse (a double-reed instrument), two sizes of viola da gamba (a 6-string fretted violin, similar to a bowed guitar) and a harpsichord.

To complete the experience of a real Renaissance “party,” the ballet department will provide four of the Historical Dance Ensemble’s nimble feet.

Listeners can expect some medieval pieces, as well as selections from the 15th and 16th centuries.

The performance is tonight only and is free and open to the public.