Scrummin’ Utes advance to Sweet 16

Utah rugby is currently right where it expects to be year in and year out at this time of year: contending for the national title.

The defending national runner-up Utes advanced to the Sweet 16 of the playoffs over the weekend after notching two impressive victories away from home.

On Saturday morning, the Utes jumped out to a 30-7 lead on the University of Washington before cruising to a 60-15 rout. The host Huskies had no answer for the Ute attack, allowing Utah to advance to day two of the territorial playoffs.

Up next for the Utes was St. Mary’s, which had advanced after beating Central Washington. The Gaels proved to be a tougher opponent for the Utes, with Utah holding a tight 3-0 halftime lead.

The Utes jumped out to a large lead at the start of the second. But thanks to two quick St. Mary’s tries, the U found itself clinging to a two-point lead late. Good defense and a strong kicking game allowed the Utes to hold on, giving them the 22-20 win and a trip to the round of 16.

The team will have to travel even farther for the next round, which will be hosted by Army in West Point, NY. The Utes will square off against Tennessee in their first game, with an Elite Eight matchup against Army likely if they advance. The Utes will have a tuneup this Friday at 1 p.m., when Utah State visits Ballif Field.

Utah is 6-1 during the spring season, having outscored its opponents 180-82 in that span.