Dyer, Shiery lift U softball over Aggies

Meghan Dyer struck out 10 batters and didn’t allow a runner past second base over six innings, and freshman Jessica Shiery smacked a three-run homerun to lift the Utes to a 3-1 first game win over Utah State Wednesday.

Dyer struck out the first eight Aggie batters she faced, before Utah State’s Shawn Bjarnson broke up her perfect game with a bunt single in the third inning.

Shiery’s three-run blast broke up a scoreless game in the bottom of the third inning, and it ended up being the deciding runs to hand the Utes the victory.

Dyer picked up her 11th win this season, and it was Shiery’s fifth homerun of the year.

The Utes came out with more offense in the second game, finishing the game with 16 hits.

“We did a great job stealing bases, and making the small hits to bring in runs,” head coach Kyle Magnusson said. “It’s those small things that help us win games.”

Shiery helped the Utes to a quick lead, as she picked up her fourth RBI of the day by knocking in Jackie Wong in the first inning to give Utah a 1-0 lead.

The Aggies tied the game in the fourth inning due to a Ute error, but the Utes responded with five runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 6-1 lead.

The Utes tacked on two more runs in the seventh inning, and Sheri Shrock pitched two scoreless innings in the sixth and seventh inning, giving the Utes an 8-1 victory.

Karina Cannon was the starting pitcher for the Utes in the second game, and she struck out three batters while allowing just two hits and no earned runs over five innings of work.

The two wins improved the Utes overall record to 23-12, and dropped the Aggies to 5-27.

The Utes will go back to the road this weekend, starting with a Friday doubleheader in Fort Collins, Colo., against the Colorado State Rams.

The Utes will then head to Albuquerque, N.M., where they’ll take on the New Mexico Lobos in a doubleheader Sunday.

“They’re very important games,” Magnusson said. “We need to win all four of them so that we can keep ourselves in the Mountain West Conference race.”