Props to U recognizes extraordinary individuals

By Ana Breton

Brandon Patterson said he had the best experience of his life Thursday night.

Students voted Patterson, a freshman communication major, KUTE Voice of the Year at the second annual Props to U ceremony.

In his acceptance speech, he thanked all the KUTE listeners, “all two of them,” and encouraged his fellow disc jockeys to keep their spirits up no matter in whose hands KUTE ends up.

“I think that by being a part of KUTE I can give the U a sense of community,” Patterson said. “KUTE gives the campus a sense that everybody can come and listen to the same station, and that way, it gives them a sense of belonging.”

Patterson was awarded alongside other students, faculty and employees in categories ranging from “Best-Dressed Student” to “Best Professor” of the year. The winners were decided by the number of votes received in their name from students.

Patrick Kiser, assistant professor in bioengineering, said he was honored to be nominated for Professor of the Year.

“I’ve worked really hard these last three years, and it’s nice to get a little recognition from my students,” Kiser said. “They are a great source of energy and inspiration.”

Ali Hasnain, president of the Associated Students of the University of Utah, shared the award for “Best Student Leader of the Year” with John Poelman, ASUU vice president.

“I don’t know how much I deserved this, but I’m really flattered,” Hasnain said. “I think that it’s not as important how people see you when you’re going in, but about how they see you when you’re going out.”

As for sharing the award with Poelman, Hasnain didn’t seem concerned.

“From the beginning, we’ve always been each other’s shadow, and I trust him with anything,” Hasnain said. “I’m honored to have won with him because he belongs to the highest caliber of people I know.”

Patrick Muir, The Chronicle’s assistant news editor, won the Chronicle Writer of the Year award.

“If you are told in the span of a week that you are going to hell, are not good enough morally or intellectually, and that you are obnoxious and dumb, you can win this award,” Muir said.

Maegan Burr

John Poelman, ASUU vice president, and Ali Hasnain, ASUU president, share the award for “Best Student Leader of the Year” at “Props to U” in the Union Ballroom on Thursday. “Props to U” honored students and faculty nominated by other U students through nomination forms. Categories included best-dressed, favorite teacher, best Chronicle writer, best athlete and student of the year.

Valerie Jar