Students with anxiety disorders a growing demographic

By Amber Van Dam

College students are becoming the newest face of anxiety disorders, according to the National Mental Health Association.

College students make up more than 7 percent of adults struggling with anxiety, a statistic that has been rapidly rising over the last 50 years, according to NMHA research. But only half of the 19 million Americans struggling with the ailment seek treatment.

Melanne Cherry specializes in the treatment of anxiety disorders at the University Counseling Center and said that a majority of students treated are suffering from an anxiety-related problem.

“Anxiety is a normal part of daily life,” Cherry said. “It helps us solve problems and get through each day.”

However, there is a point at which everyday stress can lead to a more serious problem.

“Cumulative stress can affect a person’s biochemistry,” she said. “When the body goes through the activation cycle again and again, over time it becomes depleted and exhausted.”

When the body’s natural defenses are weakened, anything from the common cold to psychosomatic illness can develop, she said.

So when does stress cross the line into anxiety? And why are college students more affected?

Development and experiences in college may be a cause. There are definitely increased levels of stress and apprehension in college, Cherry said.

“Anxiousness and stress over things such as relationships and finals are heightened,” she explained.

“I never had a problem before I came to school, or at least I never noticed it,” said pre-nursing sophomore Jessica Adams.

“My parents said I was just overreacting, and I thought maybe they were right. But the stress didn’t go away-not even when the semester ended. That’s when I knew this was a problem,” Adams said.

Symptoms of anxiety include obsessive thoughts, poor concentration, constant worry about everyday events and tasks, irritability, trouble sleeping and feelings of being keyed up or on edge more often than not.

If symptoms persist for more than six months or become more frequent or intense, the problem may be anxiety-related.

“Having an (anxiety) attack makes it feel like the world is caving in,” Adams said. “My chest hurts, I can’t breathe, I get really claustrophobic and I just panic. It’s really terrifying.”

There are signs that instructors can watch for in their students, such as a decreased level of communication, participation with the class and avoidance of eye contact. Students may also act withdrawn or position themselves apart from others.

Students with an anxiety problem will also become noticeably panicked when called upon in class.

Anxiety disorders are different from other mental health issues because sufferers are aware that their worrying is more extreme than it should be, Cherry said.

But because sufferers believe they can control their apprehension, anxiety often goes untreated.

Social stigmas associated with mental illness also contribute to the low numbers of reported symptoms, Cherry said.

People who are habitual people-pleasers or perfectionists, or those who are control-oriented, are more likely to develop a problem because anxiety often results from feelings of losing control, helplessness and constant fear of what others may think.

Although untreated anxiety problems don’t usually progress to more serious disorders, daily life can become unbearable.

“Day after day, going through life without relief can be very difficult. And the coping mechanism for anxiety is to ignore the problem, which can lead to isolation and loss of relationships,” Cherry said.

Stress management is key in preventing and living with an anxiety disorder, she said.

Chad Curtis, a graduate student in public administration, balances time with his wife and five children, classes and two jobs.

“I handle stress by breaking up my responsibilities into pieces,” he said. “I get organized, make a plan, get to work and tackle one thing at a time. Then I move on. Luckily, it doesn’t paralyze me.”

Adams said she uses a color-coded calendar hanging on her bedroom wall.

Each class has its own color, and she plans the whole month’s work ahead of time.

“It keeps me from taking on more than I can handle, and it’s even brought my grades up,” she said.

If students suspect they have a problem, they can visit University Counseling Services in the Student Services Building. The initial appointment is free, and each subsequent session is $10. The counseling center also offers group sessions for $5.