No school district left behind

By Chronicle Senior Staff

Right now there is a projected surplus of $1 billion in the Utah State Legislature. The fate of that money is going to be decided by our state representatives in the next few weeks.

While there are obviously many deserving avenues for this money, we would encourage state legislators to reserve the entire surplus to overhaul the state’s public education system.

This may seem extreme, as there are obviously other avenues that need that money desperately-law-enforcement pay raises or medical care for the disabled, for example.

Yes, by taking little chunks out of the surplus, we can give firefighters raises.

But by making these few exceptions, we have invited state legislators to divide up the entire surplus among their own pet projects-leaving an amount of money that will make no significant difference on the state of public education in Utah.

We all know the situation of public schools in this state-either because we are the products of them or we know people who are.

Utah consistently ranks at the bottom of the nation when teacher salaries and student competency scores are matched with those from other states. If empirical data isn’t enough to convince you, then remember back to times in classes when your peers had to ask, “What’s a thesis?”

This money could go a long way into fixing the education problems in Utah-to funding programs, rewarding competent teachers and strengthening schools in disadvantaged districts.

We all benefit by having a strong education system in Utah. With a more educated workforce, the economy will improve. Educated individuals who could significantly contribute to Utah’s economy will stay here, rather than move their families to places that put a higher value on education.

We all have a stake in this issue, whether we think we do or not. As college students from Utah, the prestige of our degrees will improve once Utah isn’t failing the No Child Left Behind standards set in place by the Bush administration.

Students at the U who are concerned about their futures, and the futures of their neighbors, need to contact their state legislators and encourage them to use this money to fix a problem that has been plaguing this state for years.

It’s time to give education more than just lip service. We need to stop talking about how much we value learning and appreciate our teachers and start putting our money where our mouth is.