Delta Delta Delta says goodbye to Greek Row

Usually, the women of the Delta Delta Delta Sorority move out of their house on Greek Row at the end of Spring Semester-many of them planning to return to the house the following fall.

But this year things are different. No women will be returning to the sorority house next fall because the chapter’s charter was revoked.

The National Executive Board of the Delta Delta Delta Sorority revoked the chapter’s charter on April 30 because of recurring problems with recruitment that put a strain on the chapter’s finances and leadership.

Melissa Carey, president of the sorority during Spring Semester, said packing up the house was difficult knowing that Delta Delta Delta would no longer be a part of Greek Row at the U.

“It’s hard because it becomes such a big part of your life-(losing the sorority) is like a death,” she said. “There’s a grieving process you have to go through.”

The sorority first received its charter at the U in 1932, and built its house on Greek Row near the northwest corner of campus in 1938.

It’s a big loss to lose a chapter that has been on campus for 75 years, said Lori McDonald, U greek adviser.

She also said the recruitment problems that plagued the sorority are commonplace within the greek system across the country. While recruitment at the U has “plateaued” over the past few years, it is still a major concern.

McDonald added there has been an increase in campus activities and organizations independent of the greek system that are pulling students away.

Because greek students are only allowed to join one sorority or fraternity, the women of the Delta Delta Delta sorority will not be able to join other chapters at the U. However, McDonald said they will all be given alumni status in the Delta Delta Delta organization.

The sorority house will soon be up for sale. McDonald said members of the U chapter Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity have expressed interest in the house, but so far the national organization for the group has not confirmed any details.

McDonald said it is possible that the sorority could one day return to the U, but for now the U will be without the Delta Delta Deltas.