Gay marriage doesn’t hurt anybody

By Letter to the editor

In your recent two-sided editoral (“Is it good that the Senate rejected the Federal Marriage Amendment?” by Jessica Fawson and Christina Coloroso, June 8), I found some things in Fawson’s editorial to be less than realistic.

First, Fawson ignorantly presents the idea that gay marriage would make everyone gay, stating “without heterosexuals, our society would cease to exist, as you can’t have a new generation without children” and “the attempt to…define marriage as between a man and a woman was an attempt to save our society…from extinction.”

As though every man and woman in the United States would automatically become homosexual if gay marriage were allowed! I know many gay people and many straight people, and they all like what they like, as it were.

The studies that she references are questionable, since there are studies on both sides of the argument that say what makes a good home for children. The most sane and unbiased opinion I’ve ever seen on the topic says that a child only needs one thing to truly thrive: love.

Our society is constantly evolving; why then should the institutions that constitute our culture and society not evolve as well? The Supreme Court justice in Massachusetts was correct in saying marriage was an “evolving paradigm.” Whether you like it or not, things change.

Fawson is correct when she says, “Marriage…is more than childbearing.” But from there her message degrades once more into the party line she is attempting to toe.

Marriage has ultimately become a fashion accessory in our world. People get married because they think it will change something in their lives or because they think it will fix their problems. Marriage can’t be protected from a culture that doesn’t value it. Forever now means “until I get bored.”

Utah’s passing of the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage was just one more incidence of institutionalized persecution. It goes on here just like the rampant persecution of African Americans did in the South. Back then blacks and whites weren’t allowed to marry, by law.

Since when did two people getting married hurt you?

David Yancey

Junior, Anthropology