Go see ‘An Inconvenient Truth’

“An Inconvenient Truth” is a film that has the ability to change our society by calling upon people to make less of an impact on the environment and demand that the government set higher standards for industries whose output has a negative effect on the environment.

The film explores the causes and effects of global warming and illustrates that, despite what some would have you believe, global warming is a serious, multifaceted problem that requires immediate attention and effort.

Global warming affects more than the temperature of the atmosphere and the earth’s surface. It affects weather patterns, sea levels, disease, wildfires and the lives of every species on the planet.

It is expected that, if patterns keep increasing at the rate they have been, the number of human deaths resulting from global warming will be 300,000 over the next 25 years.

We can see more immediate results of global warming in weather patterns.

According to environmental research included in the film, the number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has nearly doubled in the last 30 years.

Last fall, the nation watched as Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. Thousands of people died, others had to fight to survive in flooded cities with no electricity, no sewer systems and no police. At the end of it all, entire cities were evacuated, and some people still have been unable to return to their homes.

A hurricane is a result of warm water temperatures. The warmer the water, the more strength a hurricane can gain.

Our oceans’ temperatures are rising, and the reason for that is global warming.

Human use of fossil fuels and deforestation cause hurricanes.

The fact of the matter is, humans are ruining the environment, and most are doing so without realizing it.

Now, as the danger of global warming becomes more serious, it is a moral obligation for people to educate themselves about what they can and should do to decrease their impact on the environment.

The film opens June 16, and anyone who drives a car, rides a bus, washes his or her clothes or uses a heating system, air conditioning, electricity and water should see it and visit the Web site. It will give more information about how you can help.