Napoleon Dynamite’ actor chooses education, charity over films

By Jenny Willden

When people see Trevor Snarr on campus, they often do a double take.

Most students know the senior public relations major as Don, Summer Wheatly’s boyfriend from the movie “Napoleon Dynamite.”

He said his “Napoleon Dynamite” experience was a fun introduction to the world of film, but despite moving to Los Angeles, hiring an agent and receiving offers including a role on the CBS show “CSI Miami,” he has chosen to finish his degree.

“I moved prematurely,” Snarr said. “I moved just to see what it was about. I thought it was cool but wanted to finish my degree.”

But Snarr hasn’t stopped acting completely. He continues to accept roles in Utah independent films, and he recently had a cameo in the local movie “Propensity,” which is about suicides in Utah.

Despite his own accomplishments, Snarr has also worked to help others. He is a member of the board of directors for Trekking for Kids, a non-profit organization that raises funds for orphanages.

The purpose of Trekking for Kids is to “take meaningful treks, enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and raise money for orphans at the same time,” Snarr said.

This non-profit organization conducts yearly hiking treks on different continents to some of the world’s most remote places. Each trekker raises a designated amount of funds to donate to the trek.

Bryan Hall, director of fund raising, said that Snarr uses his charismatic personality and connections to promote the organization and raise money.

“He puts in a ton of time and gets a lot of crap done,” said Hall.

As part of the organization, Snarr took a trek to Machu Picchu, Peru, in 2005, where he helped a two-man crew film a documentary used later in fund raising.

The film documents the positive effects of orphans who are well cared for.

“Trevor was a good right-hand man,” said Hall, director of the film. “He knew what I was going through as a director with a low budget?he also did a lot of narration.”

He returned to the same orphanage in May to shoot more of the film and spend time with the children who live there.

Snarr said he plans to continue raising money and participating in treks. He called it “a great way for college students especially to do something purposeful for orphans around the world and still have a vacation. “

He is also a member of the U.S. Air Force Reserve and has two years left of his commitment.

Snarr’s reasons for joining were threefold: “I wanted to support the country, pay for school and I had a desire to show respect for family and people I knew in the military.”

The experience has taught him a lot. “I’ve gained appreciation for ethics taught in the military. Some give us a bad rap, but we are taught to be ethical. I like the principles,” Snarr said.

Still, he remains unsure if he wants to renew his contract.

“If I do renew, I want to become a commissioned officer,” Snarr said.

At 28, Snarr has had a wealth of different experiences, but he continues to value his family highly. He looks forward to getting married and having a family someday. He graduates in December.