Partisan-speak

By Christina Coloroso

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, from what distant corners of the universe do you suppose Republicans and Democrats hail?

People so different cannot possibly have anything in common. Not only are they separated by states, their colors and their positions on civil liberties, but even language itself divides the parties-a linguistic partition so extreme that any communication between them is impossible, and those of us outside the loop are left lost in translation.

In this day and age, when the media can make or break an election, the development of unique partisan lingo serves to shape many of the complex issues this country faces. If you can’t defeat an idea, you can change the terms people use to talk about it, thereby shifting the focus and direction of a debate.

A most dangerous example is the mutating definition of what it means to be a “liberal.” Once used as a positive label for those individuals whose political beliefs were more Democratic, more progressive and generally more open-minded, the term has been kidnapped by the likes of Karl Rove. And now “liberal” doesn’t mean “liberal” like that anymore.

When someone throws the “L” word in your face, it’s like an insult-a deeply offensive label worthy of a kick to the head. At least when it comes from the likes of Sean Hannity. Why is that? Conservatives and Republicans have taken the word “liberal” away from us, the people it belongs to. It has been redefined to suit their agenda and pitted against competing terms like “conservative,” which now connotes intelligence and caution in the face of the childish wishes of the masses. It has been repeated, without end, to hammer into our minds that “liberals” are people to watch out for. Liberal now means stupid, homosexual, feminist and immigrant terrorist who hates America and shouldn’t be a part of it. And the power of language is so great that the strategy has worked.

As much as it pains me to admit it, this is a game that conservatives have won-so far, at least. Here are some other words and phrases conservatives have redefined: tradition, family, homeland, values, faith, American, patriot, feminist, moderate and threat.

As for us crazy liberals, what has been our contribution to the “name game?” “The culture of corruption,” I guess. And there are lots of names people have come up with for President Bush, but that’s about it. Let’s get in the game here folks-together we can do better.

But that’s just it-liberals and Democrats are less apt at pirating vocabulary because we ourselves are so diverse, and the meanings we bring to words are numerous, varied and complex. For Democrats, there is not just one type of American, nor is there one way to be a patriot. What some may view as division within the party and a lack of unity is really a manifestation of our most basic values: tolerance and a trust in the value of all people.

So forgive me if I smile when you write in to the Opinion page and rant that I am too liberal. I am taking back the word liberal; I’m not running from your partisan labels anymore. And I think we are ready for the type of non-partisan discussion in which all may participate, not just those who are well versed in the rhetoric of the extreme left and right.