Rising above the distortion

By Kyle Nelson

Jurassic 5

Feedback

Interscope Records

Four out of five stars

Many moons ago, Jurassic 5 began its quest to put real hip-hop on the radio.

Several releases and countless converted fans later, J5 looks to accomplish its goal.

But Feedback, the third major label release from the Los Angeles-based group, isn’t just a commercial endeavor.

The album’s sound is typical of J5-swift tag-teamed rhymes by the four emcees (Zaakir, Marc7even, Chali 2na, and Akil), accompanied by innovation from the turntables (DJ Nu-Mark). The only element missing from the J5 equation this time around is Cut Chemist, the J5 member who left the group to pursue a solo career (those who attended last year’s concert at Kingsbury Hall will recall his curious absence).

As far as the new album’s divergence from the old goes, Feedback’s first single, “Work it Out,” features the Dave Matthews Band, with which J5 toured in 2004-which should tell you something about the record’s mainstream direction.

However, despite the record’s decidedly popular appeal, this is no Bling-‘N’-Blast endeavor-as always, if you prefer the hip-hop featured on BET and U92, avoid J5 and this album.

J5 is here to remind us of the good ol’ days, before hip-hop was about jewelry and murder. This theme is as prevalent on Feedback as it was on previous albums.

Jurassic 5 will perform at The Depot on Sept. 11, 2006.