Moving to America

By Natalie Hale

Moving any distance away from home is difficult, but when it’s several time zones and thousands of miles away-not to mention a whole new country-change proves a different kind of challenge.

International students at the U have chosen to meet that challenge, coming to Utah from all over the world to study various subjects-from undergraduate work in chemical engineering to graduate work in social services.

The U boasts a large international program serving more than 1,800 students from 108 countries, said Rob Robbins, an International Center coordinator.

But international students first must clear numerous hurdles before receiving permission to study in the United States.

All are required to pass a high-proficiency English exam, have monetary proof that they can pay for school and other expenses (a whopping $25,000) and have the required student visas.

This is all in addition to university life, culture shock and issues of navigating a new place with a secondary language.

But regardless of the challenges, international students are comfortable with their new Utah home.

“I like the people here, the environment is beautiful and the food isn’t that bad,” said Anthony Kim, a senior chemical engineering major from South Korea.

Mohit Diwekar, a doctorate candidate in physics from Pune, India, agreed. “When I arrived here, I did not have any major problems. The people are very friendly and helpful. I have not had a very difficult time adjusting to life in America,” Diwekar said.

However, the international students said the general openness of American society is a difficult adjustment for many of them. The majority of international students come from India and mainland China, both conservative places, where the discussion and display of sex on television and in daily life is not as acceptable as it is here.

Many students agree that it is something they need to adjust to and ignore if it bothers them.

In addition to providing the opportunity for students worldwide to come to Utah and study, Robbins said, the International Center provides opportunities for students at the U to study in many parts of the world.

Natalie Hale

A group of international students tastes Slurpees for the first time.