Banking on service

By Ana Breton

A truck full of volunteers will be headed to the Utah Food Bank on Saturday to take part in the Bennion Center’s first kick-off activity of the year.

The third annual “Legacy of Lowell Service Day” will begin with a continental breakfast at 8 a.m. on the Union patio.

Buses will then shuttle participants to the Utah Food Bank, located at 1025 S. 700 West, where they will sort and package food for distribution.

In lieu of a participation fee, students are encouraged to bring canned food items. Food sorted will be dispersed to needy individuals along the Wasatch Front.

Afterward, volunteers will return to campus and are invited to attend a luncheon and celebration in the Crimson View, located in the Union.

Guest speakers at the luncheon include Becca Wehunt, Bennion Center student president, and Ted Wilson, the current director of the Tanner Humanities Center Advocacy Forum and former Salt Lake City mayor.

“It’s nice to give students the opportunity to meet the Bennion Center,” said Wehunt, who has been involved with the center for two and a half years. “I hope that they get a chance to see the resources available to them and grasp insight of who we really are.”

The Chelsea Hale Creative Community Leadership Award will be presented to Fraser Nelson, the executive director of the Disability Law Center, and the Dan Wendelboe Continuous Community Service Award will be presented to Noella Sudbury, a graduate student in public administration. Both awards honor the memory of two Bennion Center volunteers and former U students.

The event aims to give students a chance to remember Lowell Bennion, former U administrator, and his service in the community, said Alicia Geesman, Bennion service development officer.

“Students don’t always know the history behind the Bennion Center,” she said. “Hopefully this will teach them the history behind it all and inspire them for the rest of the year.”

Last year, about 150 participants- including students, donors, faculty and staff-took part in the event.

There are fewer than two-dozen spots left for the event. Because of catering, interested participants must RSVP today before noon.

To sign up or for more information, contact Alicia Geesman at the Bennion Center at 585-0093.