Osher Institute offers classes for non-traditional students

By Alex Steele

Non-traditional students are becoming more common on campus, and the two-year-old Osher Lifelong Learning Institute is devoted to their continued learning.

Established in September 2004, the Osher Institute seeks people ages 50 and older for its classes.

Cathy House, director of the Osher Institute, said she wants people who take classes from the Osher Institute to develop a learning community.

“It’s a nice experience to learn with your peer group,” she said. “An important aspect of the Osher Institute is building a learning community to network and get to know new people.”

One of the benefits at the Osher Institute is the opportunity for students to get to know new people outside their religious or work circles.

The teaching is different from traditional university department classes, House said. “There are no tests and no grades. The classes are either lectures or lecture-discussions, and the emphasis is more about the concepts,” she said.

Brent Vawdrey, administrative assistant for the Osher Institute, said members enjoy the structure of classes.

“One of the best aspects of the Osher Institute is that it’s learning for the sake of learning,” he said.

When it opened, the Osher Institute had fewer than 50 members. Membership is expected to reach 300 this fall and 500 by April 2008.

Rather than paying per credit, members pay a flat-rate fee. An annual membership costs $400. Students with this membership can take up to three courses in each of the three terms offered each year for a maximum of nine courses per calendar year.

Term memberships are available for $150 per member, and three classes can be taken per term.

“It’s like going to a gym, you use it as often as you want,” House said. “Most students average about two classes per term.”

Bill Nelsen, who graduated from the U with a degree in sociology in the ’60s, has taken a variety of classes at the Osher Institute, from Tai Chi to Utah History.

“I’ve always been interested in learning,” Nelson said, “so now I can take classes on topics I’m interested in but didn’t have time to take before.”

The U’s Osher Institute is one of 93 located on college campuses nationwide. House said this program should help the U maintain its visibility in Salt Lake City.

“This is very positive for the community. When a child or teen sees his parent or grandparent going to school, it will help bring younger kids to the U,” she said.

In its first semester, the Osher Institute offered just 12 courses. This fall, however, it’s offering 25 courses. “Some of the more popular courses deal with other cultures, history and current events,” House said. “Some of the offerings we’ll repeat, but there will be fresh new offerings. It’s just ongoing learning.”

“The input of members has a very large impact on the Osher Institute in terms of the courses offered. Our curriculum is completely member-driven,” Vawdrey said.

House said she hopes people in the community will respond positively to the Osher Institute and get involved in learning or help get others involved. “It shouldn’t be a secret. We want to get as many people involved as we can,” she said.

Most classes are held at the Commander’s House in Fort Douglas. Class sessions run for six weeks, three times a year. The Osher Institute’s fall session runs through Oct. 31. Winter session will begin Jan. 22.