Golf falls to ninth in final day

By Cody Brunner

The U golf team started its season sour last weekend at the Gene Miranda Invitational, finishing ninth overall in a field of 19 after a solid start.

Utah dropped 16 shots on the last day of competition to fall to a 298 (+10) for the tournament.

Junior college All-American transfer Steve Broker came into the final day of the tournament in second place (-6), but shot a 75 (+3) to finish ninth overall.

The Utes came into the day at four under par as a team and were tied for fourth place, but fell apart down the stretch, combining to shoot +13 over the last five holes.

“We closed very poorly today, but we’ll get back together tomorrow, dust ourselves off and go from there,” U head coach Randall McCracken said.

Fresh off the British Amateur, Dustin Pimm carded a 217 (+1) to finish tied for 23rd place. Pimm led the Mountain West Conference in stroke average last year (71.23) and finished with six top-10 finishes. The junior was recently recognized by Golf Digest as one of the Top 50 Male Players to Watch for the 2006-2007 season.

Chris Gresh and Nick Carter both placed in the top 50 for the Utes, shooting 221 (+5) and 222 (+6), respectively.

“This team is a close-knit, talented group that could go far if everyone performs up to their potential; they’re going to push each other,” McCracken said.

The Utes will try to achieve that potential a week from today when they play in the Purple and Red Invitational. Pimm shot a course-record 64 (-8) on the final day of last year’s tournament, giving him the first-place trophy and the Utes a fourth overall finish.