Family fun for a rainy day

By Travis Currit

Sleet, hail and pouring rain didn’t stop students and their families from participating in the Union Programming Council’s Family Day on Saturday.

Rain changed some plans but did not ruin Family Day, the annual festival for students and their children co-sponsored by the UPC and the Associated Students of the University of Utah Non-Traditional Students Board.

Activities originally scheduled on the Union Plaza were transferred to the Union Ballroom.

“It’s worked out great inside, just our maps were a little outdated,” said Dan Black, co-director of the Non-Traditional Students Board.

Only the pony ride had to be left outside.

The event included a wide variety of activities, such as plant potting, free caricatures, button making, face painting, puppets and more.

More than 100 parents and children were in attendance. The children ranged from newborns in strollers to 7- and 8-year-olds, and a few grandparents complemented the crowd of otherwise young adults.

A large number of international students were present as well.

Face painting and the pony ride were among the most popular activities for the children. The adults seemed to prefer the food, the couches and watching the children play.

Lennie Mahler

Joyce Nicholl from Party Times face-paints at Saturday’s Family Day activity for U students and faculty held in the Union Ballroom. The event included activities such as a pony ride, inflatable obstacle courses and caricatures.