Weekend Update

Teflon is a funny substance.

Not only does it withstand incredible heat (read: scrutiny), but it maintains the astonishing ability-for the entirety of its life-to be completely stick-proof. It’s like the material manifestation of that old schoolyard rhyme-you know, the one that revolves around?uh?involving?something something?rubber and glue?

Whatever. Point is: No matter what you throw at Teflon, it just brushes it off, like so much dirt off a shoulder. You could be like, “Yo, Teflon! You so ugly, when you was born, yo’ mama thought you was a cast iron kettle!” and Teflon would just shrug and amble coolly off, mumbling something about how that may or may not be true, but at least he isn’t a porcelain tea kettle, like some people he knows.

As such, this weekend update is dedicated to the Teflon Bands: Those acts that are either too cool, too talented or straight-up just too from-Tennesee to be phased by the hate.

Sept. 28: Kings of Leon @ In The Venue

The Kings of Leon are the rare band that, on its second-record outing, bested itself.

All the more impressive is the fact that the “itself being” bested here is the “itself” that produced the Deep-South, whiskey-soaked breakout rawk record Youth and Young Manhood (which remains, to this day, arguably the best titled CD of the new millennium).

For those less familiar with the Kings, the breakdown is essentially this: A ramshackle family cooperative out of Tennessee gets together over a bottle of moonshine, picks up a few guitars, grows some serious beard-age and, more or less, rocks the damn house down.

Or, rather, the shack.

Same difference.

With the pending release of the Kings’ third record-following on the elegantly tattered coattails of the breathtaking sophomore Aha Shake Heartbreak-the band’s show tonight at In The Venue promises to be both a rollicking retrospective of materials past and also an effective pre-release/sneak peak of the new stuff.

Considering the fact that last time the Kings of Leon played at In The Venue, five people showed up and the band STILL SHOOK THE RAFTERS. Prudent advice is to not miss this one.

Sept. 29: The Strokes @ In The Venue

More or less declaring its stranglehold on good shows this weekend, In The Venue follows the Southern hospitality of the Kings with the Yankee hospitality of The Strokes.

The Strokes-for the, um, two people who forgot-is the band that pretty much sweats/pukes/breathes New York City (a la Lou Reed), is loved by nearly every critic and somehow still isn’t a total clich.

In fact, though real-world logic would dictate otherwise, The Strokes manage to get cooler as the NY-schtick gets more familiar.

With the triumphant 2005 release of First Impressions of Earth-the rare third album that managed somehow to save a band that really didn’t need saving, thus making it all the more untouchable-The Strokes proved their haggard hipster appeal was no fluke: If the debut Is This It seemed like the outspoken voice of a certain generation, then First Impressions is that same voice, only wiser, soberer and certainly more comfortable in its shoes.

This Friday is your opportunity to hear this voice up-close and personal.

Plus, Julian Casablancas is the most effortlessly swaggering frontman in 20 years. Friday’s show will undoubtedly illustrate this point.