Elsewhere around the Mountain West

San Diego State (0-4, 0-1 MWC) at BYU (3-2, 1-0 MWC)

The Aztecs are still looking for their first win under first-year head coach Chuck Long and have suffered two-straight lopsided losses. Their only conference game came against the Utes (a 38-7 Utah victory at Qualcomm Stadium), but now they face BYU, a club that has people talking about the MWC title once again. While the Cougars’ record is identical to that of the Utes’, one of their losses came in overtime against then-No. 23 Boston College. And the Cougs, who have the No. 1 offense in the league, went into Fort Worth last week and thumped then-No. 15 TCU.

Navy (4-1) at Air Force (2-1, 2-0 MWC)

Two wings of the U.S. Military face off against each other-and both sport solid records going into the Saturday showdown. The Falcons have already defeated both Wyoming and New Mexico, giving them a leg up in the MWC standings. And their only loss was a 31-30 defeat to the nationally ranked Tennessee Volunteers. The Falcons had a shot to tie the game and send it into overtime, but opted to go for two and fell just short.

UNLV (1-3) at Colorado State (3-1)

Colorado State and UNLV have had opposite starts to the season, but neither team has impressed many people. The Rams lost to Nevada and defeated the 1-3 Fresno State Bulldogs, but their major tests have yet to come. The Rebels, meanwhile, sport the worst defense in the Mountain West and have gotten trounced in consecutive weeks leading up to their showdown in Fort Collins.

Wyoming (1-4, 0-1) at New Mexico (2-3, 0-1)

The Lobos have had an up-and-down campaign, playing impressively in a win over UTEP but falling to the likes of Missouri and Portland State. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have defeated only lowly Utah State in the opening week of the season and haven’t looked good since in three-straight losses.