Scrummin’ Utes win fifth straight

Utah rugby tallied its sixth win of the year this weekend, rallying back from a 14-point deficit at the half to beat nationally ranked BYU, 28-19.

The Cougars shut out the Utes in the first half before Utah’s All-American fullback Peter Black asserted himself. Black found space outside to score a try and close the margin to two, but was removed from the game in the second half with a head injury.

The Utes didn’t let up there, though, as junior wing Matt Byrd took over the game, lighting up the scoreboard with a pair of second-half tries to lead the Utes to victory.

The Utes utilized a diverse second-half attack to take a six-point lead, and with a successful penalty kick from Jimmy McDermott, widened the gap even more. Earlier in the half, McDermott scored a try of his own to give the U its first lead of the game.

Utah moves to 6-1 on the year with the win, its only loss coming at the hands of the Cougars earlier this season in Provo. This weekend’s loss was the first of the year for BYU, who came into the contest with a sterling 3-0 record.

The Scrummin’ Utes carry a five-game win streak and will play an alumni game this Saturday at Murray Park.

Cody Brunner

Kim Peterson

Jimmy McDermott downs a try (five points) in the second half, helping Utah beat BYU 28-19 at Murray City Park on Saturday. McDermott also scored a penalty kick (two points). Utah Rugby is ranked fourth in the nation. The Utes have won the past five games and are now 6-1 on the season.

Christopher Peddecord

Defender Melissa Crespo eyes the ball in a match against UNLV last week. The U soccer team defeated New Mexico this weekend 3-0 for their seventh straight victory.