Now See Here!

“Flags of Our Fathers”

Directed by Clint Eastwood

Is this movie Clint Eastwood’s paean to wartime heroism, or is it a lavishly disguised VH1 special that could be titled “Behind the Flag Raising”?

It has all the ingredients of a muckraking bio-tainment program: alcoholism, violence, buddy fights, bayonet-wielding Japanese soldiers?(R)

“The Prestige”

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Dueling, turn-of-the-century magicians played by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman meddle with powers beyond their control-like the sexual magnetism of costar Scarlet Johansson.

David Bowie has a cameo role as Nikola Tesla, a real-life inventor famous for his contributions to the fields of electricity, magnetism and wearing tight, genital-hugging pants. (PG-13)

“Marie Antoinette”

Directed by Sophia Coppola

Kirsten Dunst plays the Austrian archduchess like a punk kid, gallivanting about the palace to the tunes of New Order and The Strokes.

If you think that’s anachronistic, just wait for the scene in which Marie is beheaded by a lightsaber. (PG-13)

“The Queen”

Directed by Stephen Frears

Helen Mirren is positively regal as Queen Elizabeth II in this dramatic recreation of the royal family’s response to the untimely death of Princess Diana.

The filmmakers auditioned hundreds of actors for the role of Prince Charles, but ultimately went with their first choice: a Mr. Potato Head doll. (PG-13)

“Flicka”

Directed by Michael Mayer

“Flicka” means a beautiful, spunky creature, like Alison Lohman and the belligerent mustang she hopes to tame in this soapy, dopey family flick.

Country music star Tim McGraw plays Lohman’s dad. When he grabs his rifle and stomps out the door, I wasn’t sure if he was going to put down the injured horse or his anemic performance. (PG)

“Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas 3-D”

Directed by Henry Selick

Just in time for Halloween, here’s a re-release of a?Christmas movie. Set in Halloween Town. Which is preparing for Christmas. In a very Halloweenish way.

Whatever. It’s great no matter which holiday it’s celebrating.

See Tim Burton’s stop-motion-animated masterpiece in IMAX 3-D for a limited time only! (PG)

“Al Franken: God Spoke”

Directed by Nick Doob and Chris Hegedus

This documentary charts comedian Al Franken’s rise as a political commentator, mostly during the Bush re-election campaign in ’04.

What does it say about the state of political discourse in this country when comedians are entering the arena? That it’s all a joke?

Maybe so. Conservative pundit Anne Coulter once said, “Liberals hate God and hate America.”

I’m laughing, aren’t you? (NR)

MIDNIGHT MADNESS AT THE TOWER! FRIDAY AND SATURDAY!

“Cabin Fever”

Directed by Eli Roth

Don’t you hate it when you go for a nice, relaxing weekend at the cabin and you contract some sort of flesh-eating virus? And then you scratch and scratch and end up scratching your face off? And then you find out the cable TV’s been cut? Yeah, I hate that, too. (R)