Fitting finale

By Tom Quinn

The U soccer team put considerable effort into honoring its seniors at Friday night’s regular season finale, and the seniors themselves put considerable effort into showing why they deserved it.

Amanda Feigt scored a goal, Hailey Marsh tallied an assist and goalkeeper Ashley Mason pitched the Utes’ ninth consecutive shutout as Utah defeated Wyoming 2-0 in the team’s last game of the regular season.

“I’m very satisfied with the win,” U head coach Rich Manning said. “I thought we came out very sharp in the first half-I think we got a little cold during halftime because we never got that rhythm back.”

Fortunately for the Utes, they didn’t need much rhythm to send Wyoming home with a loss. The Cowgirls dug themselves into a two-goal hole in the first half, and the stalwart Utah defense made sure they never got out of it.

“Our defense played awesome tonight,” U senior defender Carisse Winegar said. “There were a few mistakes, but all the girls were covering for each other out there. That’s why (Wyoming) didn’t get anything out of it.”

The Cowgirls, however, can’t say the same. Wyoming keeper Ashley Sheppard literally handed Utah its first score of the game when a corner kick bounced off her hands and into the goal. Sheppard tried to quickly corral the wayward ball, but the official signaled that it had already crossed the plane.

Feigt doubled the Utes’ lead less than a minute later off an assist from fellow forward Marsh. After receiving the ball from Marsh on a counterattack, Feigt split two defenders and slipped the ball inside the far post for her sixth goal of the season.

“Hailey played a great through ball,” Feigt said of Marsh’s assist. “She got the ball to me, and all I had to do was tap it past the keeper.”

Wyoming played well in spurts, slowing down the Utes’ attack and putting pressure on Utah’s back line. The Cowgirls managed to create a handful of opportunities to put points on the board and several times came within inches of becoming the first team to score on the Utes in over a month.

“They played a good game tonight,” said Manning of Wyoming. “We definitely have to sharpen up a few things before the tournament next weekend.”

Cowgirl forward Comfort Adetoye nearly gave Wyoming a 1-0 lead early in the first half when she caught Mason several yards off her line. Although Mason was beaten on the play, an alert Winegar was in perfect position to make the save.

“I get a save like that every now and then,” Winegar said. “It’s just part of playing as a team.”

Teamwork was imperative for the Utes, who were playing without star forward Adele Letro.

Letro, a sophomore, sustained a concussion last week in practice and was held out for precautionary reasons.

With the win, the Utes improved to 14-4 overall and recorded their second consecutive undefeated conference season. They will host the Mountain West tournament, which begins Wednesday.

Lennie Mahler

Katie Battazzo slides underneath Wyoming’s Christine Nagel, knocking the ball loose in the second half of the 2-0 win for the Utes.