Hockey team comes close, falters in third period

By Natalie Dicou

Tied with Weber State University at four goals apiece going into the third period Friday night, the U hockey club found itself on the verge of picking up its first victory of the season.

But after a penalty that put the Utes down a man, the Wildcats scored two quick goals, dashing the hopes of Utah players.

“The two goals really demoralized the team,” said U hockey club vice president Jason Petho.

Having just watched what would have been Utah’s first victory in 10 tries slip away, the “demoralized” Utes gave up another two goals, losing what had been a neck-and-neck battle, 8-4.

“They wanted desperately to win,” said head coach Bob Wilkinson of his players, describing his team’s play as “inspired.”

It was the first time since the U hockey club was reinstated after a three-year hiatus that the Utes went into a final period all squared up.

“If we look at (games in which we’ve played against) Weber State as a barometer, we’re improving,” Wilkinson said. The Utes lost to the Wildcats by scores of 11-0 and 4-2 earlier in the season.

Scoring for Utah was Greg Swenson, who contributed two goals. Brett Dowden and Anders Hanson each added a goal of his own. Nick Cogswell tended the net.

The close game against Weber State came on the heels of a lopsided loss to Colorado State in Park City Thursday night. The Rams, a national powerhouse at the college club level, destroyed the Utes 18-2.

Next up for Utah is Utah State at Steiner Ice Rink on Nov. 10. It will be the last game Utah will play for nearly a month, when they rematch rival BYU at home on Dec. 8.

Tyler Cobb

Brett Downden breaks away from the crowd in the Utes’ game against Weber State on Friday. The Utes entered the third period tied at 4-4, but fell behind as the Wildcats scored four more goals in the final period.