Grant awarded to advance imaging at U

By Natalie Hale

Imaging for U researchers will be clearer with a $1.8 million grant they received from the Ben and Iris Margolis Foundation.

The first of six yearly installments of $300,000 each was presented to the Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research on Friday.

“This grant will allow for more sensitive detection of cancers and will sustain and expand imaging research,” said Roy Rowley, UCAIR development officer.

One of the primary functions of UCAIR is to create new and improved ways to conduct medical imaging to make it less invasive to the patient and to provide a clearer picture of the condition from which he or she suffers.

While imaging conditions like cancer, doctors can examine dye penetration in tissues. Magnetic Resonance Imaging doesn’t act as a video camera. After a picture is taken, it takes some time for the camera to recharge. The research team’s desire is to take more images in a shorter amount of time, which is what this grant will help fund, Rowley said.

The Ben and Iris Margolis Foundation was founded by Ben and Iris Margolis in 1979 to fund medical research. The foundation has funded research in AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, epilepsy and bereavement.