The time to plan is here

By Clayton Norlen

Over the weekend, I started the ambitious task of deciding what I wanted to do with the rest of my life: I started planning my schedule for Spring Semester.

Planning a semester usually isn’t as monumental as I’m making it out to be, but when you have a list of classes you need to take, a list of classes you want to take–and none of those classes have available seating–life can seem a bit dreary at best.

Registration is this week for the majority of students at the U–unless you’re a senior, in which case you were supposed to do it last week. If you’re not sure when you register, check the Campus Information System after 2 p.m. today (that way, I won’t have to worry about you taking my seat).

If you’re not in the communication department, check to see when you register as soon as possible lest some freshman get that coveted last spot.

Finding your registration date is the easiest part about planning your schedule–after that you actually have to think. Unless you have a crystal ball on hand and you know how to use it, I don’t think you should take on this final part alone. There’s a reason the U uses all that money you give them to pay academic advisers.

Schedule an appointment with an adviser so you don’t spend the next 10 years in basket-weaving classes. Before you go in, create a rough draft of what classes you’d like to take. Create a mock class schedule. Make sure the classes you are looking to add don’t have overlapping times and that they will actually fulfill requirements for your major. Finally, like a boy scout, be prepared with a backup plan in case the classes you want are already full. Then discuss your plans with your adviser.

You’re still not out of the water just yet. When you’ve talked with your advisor and set a list of classes, now you have to physically enroll in those classes. This is the part about registering that really blows–chances are by this point seating will be nearing capacity.

To avoid getting shafted at the last second, find all of your potential classes’ “class numbers” for Spring Semester. When you go to add classes you can do it by number instead of schedule, and the 20 seconds that saves could be the difference between graduating sooner or later.

Even after all these preparations, there is still a chance you will be left out of the classes you want. It sucks, but with a little persistence there is still hope. Heckle professors for add codes the first week, show up to class even if you’re not enrolled–do whatever you can to avoid the terrible fate of having to take those classes at a later date.