Sustainable studies

By Paige Fieldsted

A new course being offered this spring will allow U students to develop and implement project designs to help make a new geology and geophysics building more sustainable.

“We are looking for the involvement of students from across the entire campus, since sustainability is a concern that affects all disciplines,” said William Johnson, associate professor of geosciences.

In the class, called Interdisciplinary Practicum in Sustainability, students will be instructed on the principles of sustainability, physical and biological factors found in natural communities and the elements in manmade communities.

Students will work in teams to investigate, describe and propose functional designs for the Sutton Building.

“I am thrilled students will have the opportunity to explore ways of making our building, or any building, tread more lightly on the environment,” said Jim Nielson, one of the architects involved in planning and designing the Sutton Building.

The Sutton Building is being built by the Geology and Geophysics Department, and the building will follow Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design guidelines.

Students and faculty members working on the project are striving to make the building a showcase for green architecture options.

“The class has a concrete focus on just one thing the U can do to be a role model for the rest of campus and for the Salt Lake City community and beyond,” said Natasha McVaugh-Seegert, assistant director of the environmental studies program.

Students from all majors are invited to sign up for the class and bring the concepts and tools of their majors in exploring solutions to one of society’s most important challenges-sustainability.

The class is listed under four different class names: Biology 5960, Civil Engineering 5920, Environmental Studies 4800 and Geophysics 5920.

The class will meet on Tuesdays from 12:55 to 1:45, plus two extra hours of work per week, and will earn students two credits.

Johnson said, “Students should register if they want to take part in an invigorating design experience and if they have the drive to explore means of implementing their design in the context of real-world constraints.”