More money or more options?

By Matt Homer

College is demanding. In addition to finding money for tuition and doing well in classes, we also have to be concerned with taking steps toward our future. That crunch is particularly obvious this time of year as we decide our summer plans. In particular, many face a choice between selling door-to-door items (such as pesticide and security systems) and looking for an internship.

It’s a tradeoff between immediate gain and long-term success.

On one hand, you are promised the potential of earning tens of thousands of dollars in sales. An internship, on the other hand, will give you substantially less (if any) money and is more difficult to find.

But internships can be the key to success in the long run. If your future interests lie in a highly competitive field, this could be the break you need. Or, if you’re trying to decide what you want to do after graduation, it will give you a glimpse of what a specific path might look like. Another benefit is that many employers prefer to hire former interns rather than people unfamiliar with their work. In fact, according to monstertrak.com, 85 percent of organizations recruit future employees through internships or similar programs. While interning, you can establish important contacts and also secure letters of recommendation for future opportunities.

An internship can pay huge dividends, but finding a good one isn’t so easy. Rsums are critically important, but like many things in the real world, whom you know sometimes matters more. That’s why the U is so lucky to have the Hinckley Institute of Politics. It has established contacts with many organizations and possesses the wherewithal to connect you with an appropriate opportunity. The career services Web site also provides an excellent list of internship search engines.

A couple tips:

Polish your rsum and then start looking as soon as possible–most deadlines have either passed or are coming soon. Talk to other students, professors and advisers to see what options they know about. In addition to internship Web sites, try using the “advanced search” button on google.com. Tinker with the “domain” field to find opportunities within particular organizations or countries. For example, say you are looking for an internship in Great Britain. Just type “.uk” into the domain field and Google will limit the search to United Kingdom Web sites.

Look for a paid internship. If an employer is willing to pay you, then it’s likely that employer recognizes you as more than just free labor. Also, keep in mind that an internship doesn’t need to be called an internship to be a good opportunity.

Most importantly, stay determined. You may need to apply to quite a few options before one comes your way.

With an internship, you won’t be earning much money, but you will be making a substantial investment in your future.