Utes defeat Cougs in battle of unbeatens

By Natalie Dicou

If you’re concerned that the U might be losing its luster as a so-called “basketball school” as you watch the men’s team struggle through its season, look no further than the women’s team for a much-needed pick-me-up.

Led by Morgan Warburton, who scored a career-high 25 points on Saturday, the Utes (14-6, 7-0 MWC) disposed of BYU (15-5, 6-1) at the Huntsman Center in a battle of the Mountain West Conference’s elite.

The Utes topped the Cougars 64-54 and remain undefeated in conference play.

After a first half that featured seven lead changes, the Utes took a four-point edge into the break over their archrivals in a game that seemed destined to end in a barnburner. But it wasn’t meant to be. The Utes never gave up the lead in the second half and pulled away to earn a 10-point win over BYU in an incredibly physical battle in which three Cougars fouled out.

Warburton credits team unity for the Utes’ turnaround this season. After a shaky start to the year, Utah has won seven straight games.

“We’ve come together even off the court and that’s helped us play better on the court,” she said.

Warburton was just a freshman on last year’s Elite Eight team. Cast as a “role player” behind WNBA-bound teammates, she played 18 minutes a game and averaged six points.

This season, Warburton found herself thrust into the role of go-to gal. It was a status she didn’t fully embrace early in the season but over the past few weeks, Warburton has gotten more and more comfortable in her role as a depended-upon scorer, averaging 19 points in the last four contests.

“She’s comfortable and knows that we believe in her and that we support her efforts to really be a great player,” said U head coach Elaine Elliott of her emerging star. “She’s so young. She’s got so many years still ahead of her.”

Kalee Whipple is another Utah standout with many seasons ahead of her. The freshman scored 16 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the victory.

Whipple, who was recruited by both Utah and the Cougars, is excited about the Utes’ undefeated league record, but isn’t getting ahead of herself.

“It feels really good,” she said, “but we’re not done yet.”

One plus in the women’s game is that there is no fear of top players leaving early for the WNBA draft. Thus, the Utes will remain intact for the next few years.

Utah’s leading rebounder, Joh-Teena Filipe, suffered an ankle injury with nine minutes to play, but after being iced and taped up, Filipe hobbled back onto the court late in the game.

Utah’s tough defense held the Cougars to 54 points. Utah’s Marie Warner and Heidi Carlsen, who hit two out of three triples, teamed up to defend Mallary Gillespie, holding the guard to eight points-five points below her season average.

BYU’s Dani Wright had a big game for the Cougars with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

The Utes will try to sweep the conference when they go up against Wyoming in Laramie on Thursday.

Lennie Mahler

Brette Ulsaker swings a pass around BYU player Mallary Gillespie in the Utes’ 64-54 victory Saturday afternoon in the Huntsman Center.