Big trouble

By Cody Brunner

When the U men’s basketball team plays host to BYU tonight at the Huntsman Center, it’s pretty safe to say that the majority of attention will be on the battle in the low post.

After all, U center Luke Nevill carries most of the weight for the Utes (averaging 16.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game), and BYU center Trent Plaisted (12.7 points per game, 6.7 rebounds per game) is the driving force behind the Cougars (15-6, 5-2 MWC).

“Plaisted is a great post player,” U coach Ray Giacoletti said. “After last season, I knew he was going to improve and become a dominant low-post threat, and he’s done just that.”

The San Antonio native caused quite a stir last year, averaging 13.6 points and 6.9 rebounds per game in just his freshman year. Plaisted’s solid play earned him the Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year award and even landed the 6-foot-11 center on the Freshman All-American team.

“We’re going to have to stop Plaisted if we want to win,” Nevill said. “He’s really talented near the basket, so we have to keep him under control.”

Starring opposite the sophomore sensation is Keena Young, who has done a significant amount of damage himself this season. The 6-foot-6 senior is currently averaging a team-high 16.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the Cougars.

“(Young) is such a tough assignment defensively because he is too quick for the bigger guys and too powerful for the smaller guys,” Giacoletti said. “He really presents a unique problem.”

Collectively, the Cougars have been on a roller-coaster ride this season. After suffering early losses to UCLA, Boise State and Lamar, the Cougars have been on a tear as of late, winning 10 of their last 12 games.

Most recently, BYU dumbfounded No. 13 Air Force in Provo with a stringent defense, holding the Falcons to a season-low 37.8 percent from the floor. The victory extended the Cougars’ home winning streak to 27 games, which is tied for second-best in the nation.

The game tonight won’t be played in the friendly confines of the Marriott Center in Provo, though. It will be played in the unkind atmosphere of the Huntsman Center, where the Cougars have not won in 12 years.

Like BYU, the Utes (7-13, 2-5 MWC) have experienced the majority of their success at home this season, boasting a respectable 6-4 record in Salt Lake City.

Unlike BYU, the Utes suffered a tough road loss last weekend against San Diego State. Utah held an 11-point lead with just over 15 minutes left in the game, but dropped the ball down the stretch, committing 21 turnovers in a 63-53 loss.

“We gave up way too many easy baskets against San Diego State because of our turnovers,” Giacoletti said. “We have got to take care of the ball and play transition defense if we’re going to win.”

Coach Giacoletti and the Utes will try to solve all of those woes and pick up their third conference win tonight when they host BYU at the Huntsman Center at 7 p.m.

“If you can’t get excited about a game like this, you shouldn’t be playing basketball,” U guard Chris Grant said. “This is what it’s all about.”

Lennie Mahler

Luca Drca draws a foul on his way to the basket in the Utes’ home win against Wyoming. After losing at San Diego State last weekend, the Utes face their rivals, the BYU Cougars, tonight at the Huntsman Center.