Wait a minute?it’s over?

By Cody Brunner

Following one of the more delicious Super Bowls in recent memory on Sunday, I felt myself sliding slowly toward depression. Granted, I had consumed far too much alcohol during the game, but it still felt like I had just been dumped by a really hot girl.

What the hell am I supposed to do with my time between now and next football season? I mean, the Jazz are playing decent right now, but you know they’re going to pull a Michael Johnson and seize up short of the finish line.

Then there’s the U men’s basketball team, which still hasn’t found its niche now 22 games into the season.

Let’s see?I don’t watch baseball unless I’ve run out of sedatives, hockey is for Midwesterners and Canadians and there aren’t any Olympics or World Cups to look forward to.

Seriously–I’ve got nothing.

Somewhere in my state of despair, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel–a perpetual beam of hope. With so many things to look forward to next football season, how could I possibly stay in Barrett Robbins’ realm for long?

There are so many storylines and sub-plots brewing in both the collegiate and professional worlds next year, it’s hard not to be doing backflips in anticipation.

So without further ado, here are the top 10 things to look forward to in the 2007-2008 football season.

10. Exactly how many Cincinnati Bengals will get arrested? Vegas has the over/under set at seven, but something tells me it’s going to be more (multiple infractions from Chris Henry only count as one).

9. Sometime midway through next season, we will realize that Reggie Bush is actually the second coming of Christ when he slices through defenses for a couple hundred yards per game. Barring injury, Bush is the next Barry Sanders.

8. Piper-Brunner hybrid football. Still waiting for the Falcons or Titans to pick up the other’s quarterback so we can have the first two-quarterback offense in history. Think about it. Vick rolls left, Young rolls right and they can throw back to the other if they get into trouble. This could work.

7. Which college star will succeed as a starting quarterback in the pros? With such a talent-rich draft, there has to be at least one future Pro Bowler in the mix. My money is on JaMarcus Russell.

6. Will Urban Meyer continue his ascent into college football history with another championship? How long will it take before Al Davis takes a chance on him? I was really hoping he’d be picked as coach of the Falcons this season, just so we could see Michael Vick run his offense.

5. While we’re talking about the Gators, who isn’t excited about Tim Tebow running Meyer’s offense next year? Strictly heterosexually speaking, the guy is built like a truck and can throw it a mile. And frankly, if the Gators can win a title with Chris Leak at quarterback, they could have Bea Arthur back there and still have a chance.

4. Can the Utes return to 2004 form after two years of lukewarm play? My head is telling me no, but my heart is?well, never mind, that’s saying no, too. Let’s be honest–the Utes will always be decent while coach Whit is at the helm. Never anything more.

3. Will the BCS screw up college football for the thousandth consecutive time? Seriously guys, drawing a national champion out of a hat is better than this. Deflate your egos; change the system.

2. Can the Colts repeat as champions? Now that every story in the world won’t be focused on Peyton and his inability to win the big one, we can concentrate on more important things–like how Bob Sanders is quickly becoming the best safety in the history of mankind.

1. For a Packers fan such as myself, there was no better news than the return of Brett Favre. They will make the playoffs next year?oh yes?they will make the playoffs.