Spice up the night

By Ana Breton

Students looking for something to do tonight will be able to find culture during the international food fair at the LDS Institute of Religion tonight.

The event will feature a dance by the Vietnamese American Student Association, a performance by the bagpipe-playing Piping Utes, a traditional Peruvian dance, an American Indian dance, a Latin American dance and a song by Jan Carlos, a mariachi singer.

And that’s just the pre-show.

Infusion, a Spanish rock band that is most well known on the West Coast, will headline the fair.

Students who want more than just a musical taste of different cultures will be able to get a real bite during the international food buffet.

The menu will feature food from six different countries such as Chilean empanadas, Mexican tacos and rice, kalua pig, teriyaki chicken and traditional Brazilian platters.

Although the event is free, students can only pick from three countries out of the buffet options.

Henry Alvarez, director of the International Student Council, said the fair will give students an opportunity to experience culture.

“The purpose of this event is to unite the different cultures we have in the United States and give students awareness of what’s out there,” Alvarez said. “Plus, it’s just going to be fun.”

The international food fair starts at 7:30 p.m. at the institute at 1780 E. South Campus Drive.

“Just remember to come early if you want food!” Alvarez said.