Lacrosse primed for new season

By Natalie Dicou

The U lacrosse club continued its preparation for the regular season on Friday when it hosted UVSC in a scrimmage. The score was not officially kept, but the Utes came out on top 12-6, head coach Rich Levi said.

Two senior attackmen were unavailable to play, but Levi was pleased that his younger players played strongly in their absence.

“We’ve really been stressing this whole spring (for everyone to) play under the same game plan,” Levi said. “We’re moving in the right direction.”

The Utes, who are ranked No. 13 nationally at the club level, will face their first true tests of the year this weekend when they hit the road to take on No. 19 Arizona State and No. 7 Arizona.

“The guys are ready to have everything count as opposed to scrimmages and practices,” Levi said.

Captains were voted in following the fall season. Senior attackman Tom Fernandez is the team’s sole returning captain. Fellow senior attackman Stefan Turkula was voted in as a captain last year but injured his knee and wasn’t able to play. Turkula was re-voted to a captainship this year, Levi said.

Junior defenseman Clint English will serve as a captain for the first time. ?

“They’re just great leaders on the field?and they also do a lot to support the club off the field,” Levi said of his captains.

Levi expects this weekend’s games to “highlight some of the things (the Utes) have to work on.” ?Since players are still fighting for starting spots, Levi is anxious to “see what guys are ready for the pressure” so he can establish a regular lineup.

Lennie Mahler

A member of the Ute lacrosse team practices Feb. 5 in the HPER building. The Utes beat UVSC in a scrimmage match on Friday 12-6.