U skiers in fourth place after day one of NCAA Championships

By Tom Quinn

On the opening day of the NCAA National Championships, freshman Nordic skier Snorri Einarsson showed exactly why he was one of only two Utah skiers to receive first-team all-conference honors in 2007.

Einarsson, who seemed determined to make the most of his first-ever championship appearance, finished second overall in the men’s 10K freestyle. ? Teammate Even Sletten was close behind in 10th place, while Fabian Figi’s 13th-place effort gave the Utes three skiers in the top 15. ? “Our men’s team was unbelievable today,” said head coach Eli Brown. “They really rose to the occasion.”?Not to be outdone by Einarsson and Co., the women’s team did more than just pull their own weight on the first day of competition.

The always reliable Sara Schweiger finished fifth in the women’s 5K skate, while sophomore Annelies Cook finished barely one minute later. ? “The women’s team raced hard, as well,” Brown said. “It was great to see Sara have her best skate race of the year when it counted the most.”?After one day of competition, the Utes find themselves in fourth place with a point total of 143. They are hoping to catch Northern Michigan, which leads all schools after sweeping the top three spots in the women’s 5K. ? While the Nordic events dominated the first day of competition, today’s focus will shift to the men’s and women’s giant slalom, both of which are set to begin today in Attitash, N.H.

Led by all-conference selection Tague Thorson and defending national champion Scott Veenis, the Utes hope to improve their spot in the overall standings. ? “It’s nice to have good results in the championship season,” Brown said. “We’re really excited about tomorrow.”