Funding approved for Huntsman Cancer Institute

By Natalie Hale

Research to find cures for cancer will rapidly continue at the Huntsman Cancer Institute, courtesy of the Utah Legislature.

The state-owned facility was favored this year by leaders in both the House and the Senate, receiving $10 million in one-time funding and $4 million annually.

Janet Bingham, president and CEO of the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, said she was thrilled that the cancer institute received almost all the funding requested. The original annual request was $5 million, so only $1 million was shaved off.

“The Legislature recognized what a unique center we have here,” Bingham said. “We are glad that they recognized how fortunate the people of Utah are to have the quality of care and research here.”

Bingham said the success was due to the hard work of legislators, particularly Sen. Dan Eastman, R-Bountiful, House Speaker Greg Curtis, R-Salt Lake City, and Sen. John L. Valentine, R-Orem.

“From the start, we saw a solid support,” Bingham said. “Members of the Legislature did a lot of research on the institute’s accomplishments and discussed the potential and the value to the state and Intermountain West.”

Eastman, who Bingham considers the primary supporter of the bill for the cancer institute’s funding, said the time had come for Utah to give more funding to the cancer institute. He said the biggest reason for this is that the majority of donations came from private donors.

“This is a great economic resource to the state of Utah and is fast becoming a well-known cancer research hospital around the world,” Eastman said. “I felt that it was time the state stepped up and participated in contributing, even in such a small amount of funding.”

The funding will be used for research, maintaining the current infrastructure of the cancer institute’s programs, recruiting staff, supporting community outreach programs and conducting population studies to improve patient care.

“Cancer research in Utah is second to none,” Eastman said. “I want to continue to maintain a reasonably steady flow of support for the institute to help it maintain its growth and viability.”

Bingham said this money is needed because worries have surfaced regarding the stability of the tobacco tax that currently provides $3.5 million in funding for the cancer institute.

“This is a valuable asset that belongs to us,” Bingham said. “I am pleased that the legislators stepped up to the plate to ensure the future of this great institute.”