Tuning up

By Ana Breton

When Eric Lo couldn’t find an acoustic guitar class to take this semester, he decided to take the matter into his own hands.

He applied for funding with the Associated Students of the University of Utah, recruited several of his guitar-fanatic friends and created the Acoustic Guitar Club.

The group meets twice a week and does not have a strict agenda, allowing members to learn how to play at their own pace, said James Ferguson, an AGC member.

“We understand that everyone is at a different level,” said Ferguson, a sophomore in biology. “We can’t force you to learn.”

Group members have an opportunity to learn what they want to learn, ranging from beginning chords to creating songs, said Shane Verhoef, who has been playing guitar for a year.

“You learn what you want to learn, whether it’s playing along with a song or composing your own,” said Verhoef, a sophomore in chemistry. “It’s all about getting together and playing.”

Ferguson, who has been playing for five years, said acoustic guitar is better than any other type of guitar sound because it allows the musician to learn in a more controlled environment.

“The acoustic sound is more low key,” Ferguson said. “So we’re not trying to outdo each other like other styles.”

Jess Maestas likes acoustic guitar because of the instrument’s portability.

“Unlike the piano, you can sing with it and take it with you,” said the undeclared freshman, who has been playing for about six months. “It’s a unique performance instrument.”

Lo hopes students will join the AGC in order to learn different styles from their fellow musical students. The club has six members so far.

“It’s always fun to play with people with different inspirations,” Lo said.

The club meets Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and Fridays from 11:50 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the Social and Behavioral Science Building Auditorium.

The AGC will be performing with Learn From This, a local rock/indie band, and David Hopkins, a guitarist from Ireland, on March 31 at 8 p.m. in the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. The performance will be free and open to the public.

There are no fees to join the AGC and members receive a free T-shirt upon joining.

Christopher Peddecord

Shane Verhoef strums his guitar during the Acoustic Guitar Club’s meeting on Tuesday at the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building Auditorium