U students make a difference in Cambodia

By Jake Hunter

While many students go through college focusing on classes, there are many who have more on their minds.

Some such students are those involved in Care for Cambodia, an organization founded by Jack Stringham, a senior in exercise physiology.

Stringham, along with other students from the U, visited Cambodia and offered humanitarian aid during the last Winter Break, and they’re not done yet.

The organization started when Stringham went to Cambodia in 2005 and taught English in the capital city, Phnom Penh.

Seeing the condition of some of the poorer areas, Stringham decided to start a non-profit organization. In April of 2006, Care for Cambodia became a reality.

The main purpose of the organization is to help the poorest people in Cambodia become more self-sufficient.

“We aren’t just giving out handouts,” Stringham said, “we actually have the people in the community help with the project. This connects them more to what is going on and helps us on cost.”

Before they left during the break, the group raised over $12,000 to help the country.

“One of the main problems with the country is the condition of the water; the people have to travel miles in the dry season just to get dirty water that is not good for their health. One in five children die before age five due to water-related illness,” Stringham said.

This money was used to build wells for water in many of the poorer cities in the country.

“Six wells have already been drilled with 20 more already in the planning stage. The organization’s goal is to get 50 done by summer,” Stringham said.

The group has large goals for the future, including building more wells and, later, schools and medical centers for the people of Cambodia.

“It creates such a great feeling doing this service. People need to understand that they can really make a difference out there; you can either join a group or create a group that helps save lives, and it will become a very rewarding experience,” Stringham said.

To learn more or make a donation, visit www.careforcambodia.org.