The vanguard of foreign cinema

By Anayat Fakhraie

As the academic year comes to an end, students find themselves cramming for exams and stressing over unfinished projects. Times are tight, and time management becomes a scholar’s best friend.

Fortunately for those hoping to escape the drudgery of monotonous studying, the U film department presents Film Front — a series of original 35mm foreign films picked to promote international socio-political awareness. Film Front’s fliers promise to “take you on a journey to a new world of understanding. ” It would also give you a nice break on a Sunday night.

Legend of Rita” screens April 15. This political thriller is set in the later years of the Cold War and portrays the turmoil of a young woman fleeing an unfavorable past in West Germany

“Princess Tam Tam,” playing April 22, follows a French aristocrat who stumbles across a charming Tunisian native while searching for new material for a novel. Infatuated, the Frenchman brings her to Paris, where she is presented as a charming Indian princess.

“Happy Together” will be screened April 29. This Hong Kong love story dissects the journey of two lovers through the breaking-up and making-up of both themselves and their country.

The Film Front series showcase is held in the OSH Auditorium on Sundays at 7 p.m. This free event is open to the general public. Visit www.utah.edu/filmfront or e-mail [email protected] for more information.