Days are not meant to be seized

By Nicholas Pappas

When it happened, I couldn’t write a word. Two months before, I had written about Trolley Square — about the agendas it would bring to a head, gun debates and consequences. The Virginia Tech shooting affected me in a different way. I couldn’t place it. So I decided to give it time. I decided to see where the story would take me.

As the members of the Class of 2007 take their final exams and get ready to graduate — to move on to the next chapter in their stories — I now realize where the difference lies. Many of those who died were in the same moment of transition as any one of us. They climbed the same mountain, but will never get a chance to plant their flags. They were ready to throw their caps in the air but are no longer around to catch them.

Life is absurd. Living along the Wasatch Fault, I may be devoured by an earthquake tomorrow, or I may live peacefully for another 80 years. There is no way to know for sure. The big problem with American culture is our need to concentrate on the first part and forget the second. It is a mistake to believe that running away from death is the same as living your life.

In the film “Dead Poets Society,” Robin Williams climbed up on a desk and yelled “carpe diem” — seize the day. It became the catchphrase whenever a tragedy occurs. Instead of accepting death as something we cannot control, most decide that they haven’t done enough with their time — that they must immediately begin living their lives to the “fullest.” The philosophy has probably created a few stories, a lot of credit card debt and more embarrassing carpe diem tattoos than anyone would like to admit.

When I heard the shooter sent a package to broadcasting networks, I immediately shut off my television. I would not give him the satisfaction. As I write this, I can’t even place his name. It’s not important to me. He was cognitive. Faced with two choices, instead of being forgotten, he preferred to be hatefully remembered. He wanted to be famous — to make a difference. He has. I refuse to give him anything else. He seized his day and he will never be forgotten, but he no longer has a tomorrow.

There is far more to life than fame and fortune. As many of you prepare to graduate, I offer you some advice. Slow down for a while. What you’ve accomplished is a great achievement. Some of you will get your dream job next week, but most of you won’t. Your story is not over yet, and hopefully your climax is still years away. Don’t worry about being hit by a bus tomorrow, because you’re too smart to be walking in front of buses anyway. Focus less on what you need to do and rejoice in what you’ve done.

Days are not meant to be seized. Sit on your porch and watch the sunrise for once. The day will be yours without any aggression at all.