LGBT Resource Center director appointed

By Lindsey Herman

A panel of 30 students and faculty members appointed Cathy Martinez as the new director of the LGBT Resource Center earlier this month.

She will replace Charles Milne, who resigned last November after five years at the U to seek a new career in management in Portland, Ore.

Martinez is one of a handful of therapists in Utah who specialize in treating transgender clients and is nationally known for her work. She has a master’s degree in social work and said she wants to spread awareness about the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender community throughout campus.

“My interest in the position is based on my passion for working with the LGBT community and my desire to educate the public about the needs facing young LGBT people,” Martinez said.

Although Martinez’s background revolves around therapy, the role of LGBT director is not as a therapist or counselor, but as an advocate for the resource center and a mentor to the students. If in the future Martinez sees that a student is in need of counseling, she will direct that student to the U’s Counseling Center.

Martinez, however, believes her background as a therapist will be helpful to students who are facing prejudice and bias because of their gender and sexual orientations. Among the concerns they wrestle with, she said, is the “coming out” process–telling family and friends about their sexual orientation and potentially losing their parents’ support.

Since LGBT students also face issues in the classroom, Martinez will try to visit classes on campus to educate students and faculty members about diversity and sexual orientations. She will also work with departments throughout the U to ensure that LGBT students succeed academically.

“I believe I have great professional and personal experience to share,” Martinez said. “I am excited to work with the students and the overall campus.”

Keri Ellingson, assistant vice president of student development and research, said the panel of judges chose Martinez because she was willing to take action not just with the center, but also in classrooms and throughout campus.

“We needed someone with good interpersonal skills who understands LGBT issues and can work well with students,” Ellington said.

The LGBT Resource Center was created in 2002 to provide a sense of community for LGBT students and allies.

“This is a safe space for students to come where there are others who reflect their social values and way of life,” said Bonnie Owens, a senior in gender studies and an intern at the center.

Martinez will step into the role of director on June 4.

New LGBT Resource Director, Cathy Martinez