U students earn credit for their jobs

By Nikkole Christensen

Whether students need internship credit for their degrees or are looking for experience in their chosen career fields, they can receive internship credit for their current jobs through U Career Services.

To receive such credit, students must enroll in a course through Career Services. The jobs have to meet certain requirements first, said Melissa Ridgway, a U career counselor.

“In order to qualify for credit, we ask that the student is doing new learning at their jobs, ” Ridgway said. “This means taking on new responsibilities or new projects.”

The job does not need to be related to the student’s major, but it should teach skills that can be applied to any form of employment.

“The job has to be related to life-long learning opportunities,” said Patrick McShane, another U career counselor. “It has to be something that can be applied at any employment post-graduation.”

Students can make an appointment to see a career counselor and discuss their current jobs and opportunities to receive internship credit.

To get academic credit for the internship, students can enroll in the upper-division elective Educational Psychology 3960. The number of credits depends on how many hours the student works each week–for example, students can receive up to six credit hours for working more than 30 hours per week.

Students enrolled in the class must complete 14 weekly assignments, regular evaluations and a culminating term paper, all to be turned in to their career counselor. Students must work a minimum of 10 hours per week for at least 14 weeks to receive credit.

Career counselors also offer help with rsums and cover letters, help target specific companies for internships and prepare students for interviews.

Students can visit the department’s website and search the career database, UCareerLink, for internship and job opportunities.

On UCareerLink, employers post open positions with their companies and students can search for jobs according to their major and preferred career fields.

Students can find internships in places where they have previously worked, the department their major is in, with professors of classes that students are interested in and for various companies, McShane said.

“One of the biggest things I can suggest is to go to the company that you want to work for and ask if they have any internships available,” McShane said.

Jennifer Mann, a senior in mass communication, found her current internship by contacting Terpin Communications and asking them if they had any open internships. She now works as a public relations intern at the high technology public relations firm based in West Los Angeles, Calif.

“Getting involved with organizations in the area that you are going into is the best thing someone can do for themselves,” Mann said. “Also, people have to step out of their comfort zones. If there is a company someone has in mind, but is unsure if an internship is available, simply call and ask.”

Working as an intern not only gives students experience but also helps them determine what they do not want to go into, Mann said.

“I have learned so much through these internships and feel confident about entering into the profession upon graduation,” Mann said. “Education is pivotal, but experience helps retain what your teachers teach you.”