From the Activities Editor

By Tony Pizza

Students at the U have an interesting world at their fingertips. If one were sitting in the Union, within 20 minutes that person could be at the center of a bustling city or entering the Rocky Mountains.

U students might not have the Las Vegas strip or Hollywood Boulevard at their fingertips, but they do have a plethora of ways to enjoy the outdoors at their disposal.

Some people come to school at the U solely for that reason.

While there is no way to determine who really has the “best snow on earth,” most colleges around the country would be hard pressed to have even one world-class ski resort within a two-hour drive. U students have five world-class ski resorts they can get to in less time than it takes to order a pizza — and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Utah offers a vast buffet — a smorgasbord, if you will — of outdoor things to do, such as hiking, fishing, boating, rock climbing, biking, hunting, camping, water skiing and golfing, just to name a few.

The purpose of the Activities Section will be to shed more light on these things. It will be dedicated to anything recreational, including recreation sports leagues at the U. This section is meant for U students and if you want to see something covered in the section, contacting us is easier than losing a shoe in the front row of a rock concert. If you’d like to be the one writing about a favorite jeep trail at Moab or traversing Mount Timpanogos, let us know. We’d also like to hear ideas on improving the section as a whole.

Contact us by calling 801-581-8783, or send an e-mail to [email protected].