Successful recycling takes a campus-wide effort

By Patrick Reimherr

The up-and-coming recycling program at the U will be one of the most important additions to the campus in years.

Currently, 70 percent of the waste from the U could be recycled. Ironically, the U is the flagship institution of the state, but one of the only institutions of higher education lacking a recycling program. Even our neighbors down south have us beat.

This, along with the amount of money we spend on waste disposal, is awful. These numbers and overwhelming student demand have convinced the administration to invest more than $300,000 in a recycling program at the U. With the U’s size, the potential good that can come from the program will trump every institution in the state by large margins.

The recycling program belongs to the students, meaning that the success of the program is dependent upon student participation. It is up to the students to recycle and encourage their peers to do the same.

However, while having a blue bucket around is a helpful reminder, it is necessary that we all change our daily routine to include recycling. Whether it is a newspaper, a box or even a term paper you didn’t do too well on, the recycling bin, not a trashcan, should be your next stop.

The students of the U have a great opportunity to improve the campus and the surrounding community. It would truly be unfortunate if the U administration decided against renewing or expanding the program in the next couple years because students did not take initiative.

Fortunately, the new Associated Students of the University of Utah administration sees the importance of campus sustainability, and is taking an active role in ensuring the program’s success. The undertaking of the recycling program by ASUU legitimizes the matter and opens up the doors to other sustainability issues, such as energy efficiency. If students want to improve energy efficiency on campus, they will need to put forth an effort similar to that required by the new recycling program. Students will need to demand it. Hopefully, the recycling program will show the administration that it is worth it to spend a little money now to save a lot of money later when it comes to improving the campus.

In the long run, whether you agree with helping the environment or not, the fact is that recycling will save the university money.

So remember to recycle this paper. You’ll help the environment, and you may help lower your tuition.

Patrick is currently the ASUU recycling board director.