Outdoor Recreation Program: Utah’s best-kept secret

By Jessica Dunn

Years ago, there was an outdoor pool on campus. When it was beyond repair, the U filled it with sand and converted it into volleyball courts. The pool’s old bathhouse became the Outdoor Recreation Program’s new building.

Perhaps you’ve heard of the program, but have you ever been there?

The building isn’t an easy one to find. It’s nestled behind the residence halls in Fort Douglas, south of the Heritage Center.

“Once students find us, they really get their claws into us. It’s worth the effort to use our equipment and enjoy the opportunities we provide,” said ORP Co-Manager Brian Wilkinson.

ORP was established 30 years ago to provide the opportunity for people to participate in all Utah’s outdoors have to offer. The program organizes trips and supplies rental equipment for skiing, camping, river running, rock climbing and much more.

The ORP rentals are some of the cheapest in the valley and the costs are even cheaper for students. For example, a rock climbing package, including shoes, a harness and helmet, is only $7 per day, and a ski or snowboard package is $12 per day. Mountain bikes go for $15 per day.

The range of rental equipment is as enormous as the ORP building is small. The ORP also offers tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, stoves, lanterns, coolers, canoes, rafts, life jackets and even ice climbing and avalanche gear. It has anything you would need to enjoy the great outdoors.

The ORP also organizes trips to use its equipment on. New trips are planned every semester. For this summer, the ORP has scheduled a Payette River trip, a Mount Shasta climb and a Mount Rainier climb, with two more Weber River runs scattered in between.

In the Fall and Spring Semesters, the ORP has tentatively planned a rock-climbing trip, rafting trips, moonlit snowshoe hikes and night skiing/snowboarding. Dates are posted on the program’s website prior to the start of each semester.

These trips are inexpensive because you aren’t paying a guide to do everything for you. The only costs are for food, transportation and rental equipment. All trip costs are split equally among the participants.

Planning, leadership and risks are also shared.

“Our trips are cooperative adventures where everybody plays an equal role in food and equipment preparation and the trip as a whole,” said Claire Powell, a senior and ORP employee. “We allow students to participate a lot more, and it’s a great way to learn.”

Trip dates and costs are available online at www.utah.edu/campusrec. Call 581-8516 to register and reserve a spot. Rental equipment lists and prices are also available online.

U students are lucky not only to be in a state full of outdoor activities, but also to have an organization on campus to provide an affordable outlet for those adventures. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the program.

It beats “playing on the computer and watching cable TV,” Wilkinson said.

The Outdoor Recreation Program building, behind the Residence Halls, organizes trips and rents equipment for a variety of outdoor activities.