Energy, the environment and sustainability

By Miguel Mostafa

Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. is driving an alternative fuel vehicle that he will be able to fill up for as little as 73 cents per gallon. This is a commendable action, but is there anything I can do if I do not have $15,000 to upgrade my car?

No global issue today suggests more strongly the need for an interdisciplinary perspective than the interrelated problems of energy, the environment and sustainability. We must approach these problems from a variety of disciplines and make a concerted effort to integrate them into a coherent project.

There is no magic bullet and no such thing as a clean energy source. All energy transformations have environmental consequences. This is an inescapable implication of the laws of thermodynamics. Consequently, our compromised plan of action must include at least diversification of the energy supply, substantial increase of the global share of renewable energies, acceleration in the development and dissemination of energy efficiency and energy conservation technologies, population stabilization and significant changes in lifestyles.

All of us can and must contribute to these changes.

Some quick and simple examples come to mind. Everybody on campus is talking about the famous master plan these days. This is certainly a great and timely idea, but being an institution of higher education, shouldn’t we start our plan with our classrooms? Some of them are over 100 years old. A campus master plan should prioritize building new, energy-efficient classrooms, student lounges and lecture halls. Otherwise, we will have to wait ten more years for the next master plan.

On the other hand, we — the faculty — play a crucial role as educators. We must lead by example. Just like our governor, but within my limitations, I started by riding the bus every day.

We are also primarily responsible for developing a broader and more long-term public understanding of the nature of consumption and the consequences of all forms of the energy conversion required to sustain it. We must focus on the important questions without pretending to know all the answers. No one does! Our primary goal must be to change the perceptions and attitudes, not to give specific policy recommendations.

Finally, is there anything students can do? You have the most important responsibility! You are our tool to impact the public perception, which may not change mightily and fast enough otherwise. Policy in a democratic society reflects the prevailing values and aspirations of the voting public. Therefore, get informed!

It is fundamental to educate the general public. There are several initiatives, programs, courses, etc. all over campus that you can use. Please do not learn about climate change from a science fiction writer, or about recycling from famous magicians. There are classes — like my energy and sustainability class — that will leave you better informed. And while you are at it, start thinking about some simple questions, like did you remember to turn off the lights in empty rooms? Did you recycle your old monitor? How about used batteries?

The challenge we face in a transition to energy sustainability is we enjoy the benefits of inexpensive and reliable energy, both as individuals and as a society. If the world is to stabilize the gas emissions while achieving a better global balance between the richest and the poorest inhabitants of our planet, we need to change our energy habits.

The problem is we tend to resist change. To deal with global issues such as climate change, water supply, biodiversity and social equity, we must take action to begin the transition toward a more sustainable way of life. The key to this transition is an individual and collective effort to reinforce the positive values we share throughout all cultures and lifestyles. We need to change our overemphasis on materialism to a balance between wealth and cultural, social, environmental and spiritual riches; provide lifelong education and cultivate independent thinking; facilitate constructive discussions in an atmosphere of tolerance and respect; and actively participate as members of families, communities, and the society at large — including giving feedback to government and businesses.

We need strong leaders to guide the transition. But who chooses them? Who are the consumers that determine the course of production? Where are “the people” who want to form a more sustainable union, establish social justice, promote the general welfare and secure the blessings of renewable energy for themselves and their posterity?

As Mahatma Gandhi said, “You must be the change you want to see in the world.”

Miguel Mostafa is an associate professor in the physics department.